Monday, April 29, 2013

Progress!



This is my progress so far on the Ying/Yang quilt.  I am using a batik jelly roll that I purchased last year at AQS.  It is interesting that it was a predominate purple one, yet there were yellows and beiges in there as accent pieces.  I am making a queen size with unbleached muslin as the background.  I am going to border it so it should (hopefully) be large enough for my new BIG bed!

Last week was AQS in Paducah.  Diane came up and we went for two days.  I have to tell you though, it was COLD both days we went.  The second day (Saturday) it was rainy all day.  I really believe that had we not been going on a bus, we would have bypassed the trip.  The quilts were beautiful and except for a few, I was really inspired!  To clarify, I am only inspired by quilts I feel I would be able to make myself.  The very intricate ones that look like they were made by a machine, although beautiful, do not inspire me to quilt, but rather make me feel defeated since I could NEVER make anything like them.  This year there were more quilts that I think, given a perfect alignment with the stars, I could possibly make myself!

Both Diane and I were very selective about our purchases this year.  For seven years I have been looking for Kaffe strips to make a quilt I saw in a magazine and later in a book.  This year I purchased those strips (15 half-yard cuts) and some shot cotton.  I also found some strips and fats at Hancock's, although I didn't see a real SALE on fabric, although I got some patterns 50% off.  I got a ironing board cover (which I put on and am very disappointed with), but all in all I stuck to my list.  I did have two impulse buys---two cute little magnets that hold scissors and pins and some inks to dye fabric.  This isn't all I purchased (of course), but the highlights.  Next year they will add a show in Chattanooga which is only about 1.5 hours away from my home.  Great fun!  Diane will not be able to come again for that one, so I am going to scoop it out and see how it is.

At any rate, I had a great week!  Only wish I had won the lottery, or found several thousands of dollars to add to the joy!  Now I need to get busy and use up that new fabric and those patterns.

Thanks for stopping by!  "Talk" to you soon!

1 comment:

  1. My sister and I use to do Paducah every year, but we haven't been in years. I did attend the AQS in Nashville one year and was underwhelmed. The Modern Quilt Guild and SAQA exhibits at the IQS in Cincy were over the top wonderful but vendors didn't even begin to tempt me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!