Friday, March 27, 2015

Almost Done!!!

I loaded "Mad for Plaid" on the long arm this morning and I am already half done.  I decided to not use the Baptist Fan but rather another CL board (see the second board).   The quilting fabrics and design make using a really complicated quilting motif unnecessary so this board will add just enough texture.  The backing is a moda print that I have had for quite awhile.  It is a combination of text and birds (from a dictionary).  The color is perfect for the quilt and "modern up" the very traditional pattern.  I should be done with it by the week-end!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

On the Home Stretch!!

The top and bottom and one of the side borders are on.  I just need to put the right side one and I will be ready to quilt.  The border is dark strips although I have decided to carry a couple of the circles out to the edge of the border.  Add a little interest.  I had originally alternated the border squares with light and dark and didn't really think it "ended" the quilt, so I took out the light and substituted for the dark.  As I "frogged", I really was trying to talk myself into leaving it, but since I probably will not make another quilt quite like this again, I decided to do it right.  Again, it is a little "wonky", but I really like it!  Now I am trying to figure out how to quilt it.  I am not going to get too fancy since you will not be able to see it anyway, but I think texture is important.  I am thinking either Baptist Fans or the Egyptian Eye CL Board I have been using a lot lately.  I am going to have to "study" on it for a bit.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Guess Who Just Won!!!

I entered a contest hosted by Rebecca at Ruby Blue Quilts to name her longarm.  I am a "follower" of her blog and read it daily as well as get inspiration from her quilting.  I take things very seriously and so really looked at her quilting and paid attention to the "vibes" I was receiving.  I suggested two names, one for a female persona (Allegra) and one for a male (Memphis).  She chose Memphis!!!! Her choice was because she really loves the movie "Gone In 60 Seconds" that has a main character named Memphis---I suggested it because her quilting has such a "bluesy, soulful" feeling, like the Memphis blues.  I chose her newest book as my prize.  I can't wait to receive it.  What fun!!!!!

Now on my quilty front---I am working extra hard to complete "String Fling"---my name.  I am now putting the borders on and should have a picture within the next couple of days.  Although string quilts are normally not that difficult for me, this one turned out to be since the string blocks, once cut into the Drunkard's Path, should be put together with the strings going alternately vertical and horizontal.  In addition there is the challenge of light vs. dark and vice versa to make the circles stand out.  At any rate, it will be finished soon and another UFO marked off the list!  I am not sure how to quilt it, but it will not go into the pile "to be quilted"----I want it done!!!!

Take care!!!

Monday, March 9, 2015

Spring Break!!!!!!

I am on Spring Break for this week!!!!!!  Happy Dance!  I have lots to do, but I certainly intend to get some quilting in.  So now to update you!

I finished "The Trip".  Completely finished with the quilting, binding and label!!!!

 You can "sorta" see the texture created by the quilting.  At any rate it is HUGE!  I don't think I will ever quilt a quilt this big again (until this one wears out).

I also finished quilting and binding the "gift" quilt.

It really turned out nicely I think.  The polka dot backing is a nice touch.  I sure hope the little one who receives this will like it.

Since I have finished the UFO, I am now back to working on the Building Block quilt.  Huge blocks, that you would think would finish quickly, but takes longer than I would have expected.  Being true to my commitment, I am also going to work on a UFO.  I looked at my "pile" and this is one of the "oldies but goodies" (I have blogged about it previously).

This is made from recycled shirts---some of them belonging to my grandson when he was a little one.  It is rather time intensive---I have to take the shirts apart, cut them into strips, sew a strata and then cut the pieces and then make the block.   It is kinda tricky since the strips should alternate in the blocks.  It is nice and wonky---giving it a real vintage look that I am going for....sorta Gee's Bend-like!  This is 8 rows and I need to make 8 more so------

I pulled out my GO! and started cutting up some shirts I had already "de-boned" into strips (with my strip die) and will also use it to cut the Drunkard's Path blocks.  Without this tool I am absolutely positive I would not have chosen to make this quilt!  I LOVE tools that make things impossible, possible!!!!  Although I could probably use more variety in the shirts, I will not buy more but will use only what I have.  There may be some repeats, but I am good with that.

Onward!  I have lots to do!  Hopefully my "Quilt MoJo" will stay active and productive!