Friday, September 14, 2012

I Have Been BUSY!

I have really been busy!!!!  I hardly have had time to do anything other than work!  Up early and to bed late.  My house is a mess, but I don't have the energy to do what needs to be done. 

One of my Guild Sisters shared her Bento Box for Show n'Tell and I remembered I had started one, so today I stole a couple of hours and did some sewing.  I actually started this quilt because of this same person, she had some really interesting batiks and she said she had purchased them from Joanne's so off I went, purchased them, cut a few up, and then put them into a box and there they sat for quite a while.  The pattern is the traditional  Bento Box and I added my hand dyed scraps with the batik FQ's.  The batik isn't the best quality but with the hand dyes, I like the look-----sorta "organic".  The areas of color variation, makes the batik look "hand dyed" as well. I found the perfect backing in my fabric closet,  I had purchased also about 2 years ago--an aged muslin, that will really complete the look.  I ran out of the batik, and so had to go back and get a couple more FQ's, since you know I want a BIG quilt, so I need to do a little more cutting.  At first I was going to give it away for Christmas, but now I am rethinking that.




It's funny, but I had a scrap of every color I needed to match the batiks.  I did a lot of experimentation with dyes, just dyeing small pieces.  Some of them I really like, I just don't know what I did to get the effect, so I can't reproduce it.  I have got to start writing down my recipes.  I hope I get an opportunity to dye more this season, but things are so chaotic right now, I am going to concentrate on getting rid of my stash.

I also submitted some quilts for inclusion in the Modern Quilt Show (QuiltCon).  I was  so very hesitate to do so, but with my DH insistence I went ahead and took the leap.  They certainly wouldn't win given some of the work I have seen, but it would be really nice if they were accepted.  If they do though, I am not even going to be able to go to Austin----a really bad time of the year for me----but I know I can count on someone to check it out for me.  Well, I don't find out until December, so I am putting it out of my mind.

Just wanted to check in and let you all know I haven't fallen off the end of the earth.  Take care and thanks so much for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Love the colors in your Bento! The hand dyes go well with the batiks. And I know your quilts will get accepted into the show. We'll just have to keep our finger crossed they get accepted!! I can say I knew you when....
    Stay busy quilting--the other stuff someone else can do! LOL
    Hugs...Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, that is going to look beautiful on a bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Bento Box. You know how fond I am of hand dyes and batiks! I will be at quiltcon and I will gladly send you photos of your quilts. And, if you do get to make it, we have to have lunch or something! Lane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!