The borders are pretty straight----No wave!
"Close" up of the pattern. I worked the fullness in my misting the fabric, patting it into shape, and leaving it to dry. It almost always works! Note: make sure the fabric is colorfast and MIST don't WET.
The backing! I love the polka dots. This is for a baby boy! I was really lucky to find this perfect backing for the quilt. The batting is 100% rayon and doesn't allow the fabric to shadow through.
I was correct---my "wavy" borders did in fact quilt out!!!! I used what is now one of my "most"- favorite CL boards---it is called "Egyptian Eye", but I think I am going to rename it "God's Eye" since it reminds me of the quilt pattern and hanging weaved objects I often see in my home state and the Southwest. This will still be a "gift" quilt, but rather than given as a donation in connection with my guild, I am going to give it as a shower gift for a very sweet nurse I work with. Her baby may be born early and so this little quilt will cuddle this little one ....it will still be used for it's original purpose. The backing is a thinner minky that I found at a great price at Joanne's. It quilted up wonderfully and I really think I like it better than the more traditional thicker type of minky. Lesson learned:
- use a smaller gauge needle. This minky had a tendency to pull through to the front and the smaller needle decreased this.
- be sure and put the "stretchy" portion perpendicular to the leaders. I had to roll it a little tighter than usual and this prevented the back from stretching out.
I will bind it all by machine since baby quilts are washed a lot! I also plan on enlarging this pattern and making a larger quilt. Most of the quilts I have made for our guild "gifting" program have been baby quilts, but older kids don't feel well either. My goal is to give Sandra at least six quilts for toddlers and older kids so I am going to start on those next week. I have until June to officially finish but I think I will personally continue to make quilts for this group.