Sunday, January 29, 2012

Grooving on a Sunday Afternoon!!!!

Isn't this the cutest picture of Coal! We can't put rugs on the new floor for six months since it is turning darker and rugs would make the color uneven. He now is using his pillow since of course that floor is cold. Such a sweet little dog! Now to show what I did today-------


Today was bright and sunny, although a bit cool. I woke up too late for church, so I did the next best thing. I went to my studio and spent the day quilting and contemplating life. No great decisions reached, but lots of creative energy!!! I am so close to finishing "Spontaneous Combustion", that I can almost "taste" it. I have 6 more blocks to do and it is completed. Although I have read on blogs of others who also made this quilt (Lego), that it goes really fast, it hasn't been fast piecing for me. One thing might be the fact that I don't have a tremendous amount of scraps and so I am more conscous of choosing the fabrics to make sure I have a variety in each block. I could cut more I suppose, but it is amazing how much your scrap pile grows even though you are using pieces. If I cut more I would be overrun with little pieces of fabric. I tidied up after I stopped for the day and I swear it looked like the pile had tripled even though I had used quite a lot!


Pictured above is the last two rows of the quilt and what I accomplished today. I did a little stay stitching to keep the edges from getting stretched out or coming apart. I am not going to put a border on this one---I think it would be a distraction. I found some really neat fabric for a backing, I will stop at the store tomorrow to get it. I should be finished with it this week some time (I hope) and then I will quilt it. This is such a contrast to the "UG quilt"---more "me". I love this quilt and will keep it====at this point it is my favorite!!!!!




I know I said I wasn't going to start anything new, but this is different. One of the Guild's I belong to is planning a Spring Retreat. Last year I brought the "1600 Quilt" as a Guild activity. This year the President asked me to think of a quilt for the group to do again. People don't have to do it, but it is an option. It is a little difficult to choose a pattern, since the members are all at different levels, so you want something that doesn't appear too difficult for the beginner, nor too easy for the more experienced quilter. I saw this great free quilt pattern that uses two jelly rolls so I am going to make it and bring it to meeting and show to the members. It calls for a traditional jelly roll and then one of solids. I was about to go on-line to purchase a Moda solid when I remembered that I had the 2.5 inch strip GO! die. I went up to my fabric closet and found 3 yards of Moda white and voila---I cut my own jelly row in about 15 minutes, saving money AND using up stash. The print roll in intend to use if from the line "Oz" that was so popular a couple of years ago. I would like to have it made at least by the March meeting so the group can see a "sample". The instructions are a little confusing to me for some reason, so I am glad I decided to make it first. It is hard to explain something you don't understand yourself :c)!


All in all a good day! We had a late lunch so my DH has suggested I not cook! "I'll run out and get us a snack later!" he volunteered. Great! I am going to spend the rest of the evening looking at a movie ("Unstoppable") and will get ready for work tomorrow. I have my students in clinical that begins at 6:30 AM so I will have an early start. The good thing though is the hospital is around the corner from a quilt shop!!!!!


Have a great day tomorrow and thanks so very much for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. I am liking this one SO much better than the last one! It truly looks more like a "Patricia" quilt! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!