Saturday, September 3, 2011

Another Quilt!







My pact with myself was to finish one UFO before I started another quilt. Originally I had the exact quilt I wanted to begin in mind---in fact I had already made a couple of "test" blocks. Unfortunately, I have had this quilt (pictured above) in mind for much longer. I belong to a quilting "chat" group and they were talking about "Hidden Wells". This quilt was designed by Mary Ellen Hopkins in 1989. The directions are on the web but it is a LOT of pages and although I had downloaded it, I never really got around to starting it. It wasn't however availabe anymore so I had to rely on the internet copy.


I was browsing the other day and saw "Peaceable Strips". It was Hidden Wells!!!!!!....now I had seen the original Hidden Wells pattern on e-bay for something like $50---a lot of money for essentially a pamphlet......so I (of course) purchased it. I have also decided to make as many quilts as possible from my stash. This pattern calls for 7 different fabrics (all no more than 1.5 yards). I had purchased some fabric for another quilt (I don't really like the pattern anymore), so I pulled those pieces from my stash and (fantastic), I had 7 coordinating fabrics and all in more than enough yardage! The fact that I had fabrics from one line is rare for me since I hardly ever make quilts that "match" that much.


I cut all the strips this morning and have begun to put the top together. I am still not sure about the color (per se), but I am plunging on because I think it will be okay in the end. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of any one of the fabrics for the border (I am making the queen size---remember I don't do small), so unfortunately I have had to order 2.5 yards for the border. I just hope they have it in stock----I choose two different ones so if they don't have one, hopefully they will have the other. I am finding that this pattern is like putting a puzzle together. You have to be very careful and pay attention to make sure you don't get things turned around. I had to make a little "legend" of which fabrics were A, which B etc. to keep myself straight. If this quilt turns out nice, I think I will make it in taupe's and greys---don't ask me why, since I am NOT a taupe and grey girl, but for some reason I think this quilt would look nice in those quiet subtle colors. I will keep you posted on the progress.


I have loaded a quilt I am quilting for a friend as a donation quilt, and my house (as usual) needs a little straightening, but I am determined to get some quilting in today.


Take care and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!