Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Dye Job!

Thank you so much for the nice comments. Millie and Diane both asked questions---to answer them---

---Yes, you can lighten the color. You have to just add less dye and you get a lighter more pastel color.
---I used a kit from ProChemical that I purchased at the Puducah AQS show. If you go to their web site you can purchase one. It is $10.95 and you get enough dye for 30-1/8th yard pieces. The kit comes with a "recipe" for obtaining the colors.

The name of the kit that I used to get the colors in my Post is called "Prism" but I also purchased a kit called "Earthy Blend". "Earthy Blend" has three dye colors (Mustard yellow, Bordeaux and Deep Navy) so I think the resulting colors will be will result in navy blue's, gold's and deep red, and browns (I think).

The kits are a great way to get started since they come with complete instructions and everything you need in supplies to dye your Fat 1/8ths. It also comes with a list of equipment you need (ie: 31 plastic cups; Tablespoon measures, etc.) so there isn't any guess work.

There is also a web site---Fabric Dyeing 101 that has detailed instructions as well as lots of "recipes" for other colors. I plan on using several of these recipes in my next endeavor.

The fabric I used was White Kona Muslin, but I think next time I will see how the colors turn out using unbleached muslin (200 count). I know the color will be different, but it might be interesting to see. Either way, I am sure I will be able to put the fabric to good use, and dyeing is all about experimentation anyway.

Dyeing fabric is a hot weather activity, since the environment should be 70 degrees at least, so my plans for the summer will be to dye.

As I "make" more colors, I will keep you updated on my progress. If you decide to do the same thing, be sure and share the results with me. I am also going to try creating my own "recipes"--who knows, an entirely new color might be created :-)

Hugs!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I love your dyed fabric!

    With your permission I'd like to add your blog to the blog page of my new quilting directory, Quilt Qua : http://www.quiltqua.com/links/blogs/ You can let me know if you'd like to be included. If you would like to be on the first alpha list, you simply need to let me know you've made mention, or placed a link on your site, back to Quilt Qua. I can send you a graphic if you'd like one for that purpose.

    I try to check my lists, but if I've already contacted you, I'm sorry.

    I look forward to hearing from you. Please note photos are always welcome on the Show and Tell page (right now there is a giveaway connected to the show and tell), and do let me know if I've missed your business to list on the web site!

    Thank you,
    Connie Colten
    Quilt Qua
    www.quiltqua.com
    619-562-0867

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!