Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What Have I Been Up To?

Life gets in the way sometimes. I had been doing really well in posting regularly and then got sidelined. Something kept happening to keep me from posting, but I am determined to keep current----I really like this process!

What have I been up to?---well, as I mentioned, I had pinning (graduating nursing students have a ceremony where they get their school nursing pin---the ceremony is called a "pinning") and graduation at the college where I teach. It was really nice to see the students so excited and their families so proud! The majority of them have jobs---nursing is still in demand, and in fact, many got jobs in areas they really was hoping for. The next hurdle will be writing the NCLEX for their state licensure, but I am sure they will be successful.

I am teaching this summer! Four hour lecture with two 8 hour clinical rotations! Summer school only last for 10 weeks, which is nice, but I have to get 13 hours of lecture into 10 hours. Needless to say, I will be talking fast! I think I am really going to enjoy this group of students, but then I try to enjoy each new group. It is sorta like your children, each group has such distinct personalities.

As usual, I have been quilting---I actually quilt almost every day. I have finished my Guild Challenge and am in the process of putting on the binding. It isn't my original one however---that one ended up being more involved than I reallly wanted so I developed another idea. I think it is going to be nice as well and is very different from what I ususually do---for one thing, it is a "small" wallhanging (remember I don't do small). When I showed it to my husband, he was surprised, and my Grandson commented that it must be for a really "little" person (he thinks a quilt is made to be used to snuggle in). I'll show you a picture later---a couple of my Guild sisters read my blog, so I don't want to spoil the surprise!




I have also been working on catching up my BOM---these are the pictures of the finished blocks. It is a BOM on-line---Nancy Rink's website--called "Building Blocks". I am really proud of my blocks since they are all made from a scrap bag of handdyed fabrics. I started buying these fabrics several years ago at the AQS shows---Starr Fabrics. The scrap bags are great!!!! Most of the pieces are really good size and in fact, there have been FQ's in them. I usually don't use solids as you know, but these colors are really beautiful. There is one more block and then the directions for putting the quilt together. I am going to have to buy a couple of yards of fabric for the sashing, but other than that, everyting came from either the scrap bag or my stash.

Speaking of handdyed fabrics---I am preparing to dye my first fabrics. I have washed my fabric and have collected all the equipment. I am excited!

I am going to go and put the label on "Emma's Quilt"---tomorrow is "Honor Your Teacher Day" at my Grandson's school and he is going to present her with the quilt. He is so excited! I sure hope she likes it!

Well--hugs! and have a great evening!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patricia,

    It is hard for me to keep posting regularly, too! I like your BOM.
    Can't wait to see your Guild Challenge.
    It's funny that your husband thought it's for a little person! :))

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!