I know I said I was going to finish this UFO BEFORE I started another quilt---but now that I have gotten started, I am having so much fun making these things, I want to keep going.
As I mentioned before, I saw this quilt on the web and haven't been able to find the pattern. I have this "thing" for rulers and templates so I have a LOT--many I have never used and frankly am not sure why or when I purchased them. I know their purchase had somehing to do with a quilt---but---. I looked through my many rulers and found several that are perfect for this project.
Anyway, the name of the quilt I am trying to reproduce is "Garden Party". It was created (with another quilter) by the owner of the blog "Material Obsession". I purchased two Material Obsession books, but of course the pattern isn't in them. The only place it looks like I can get them is by ordering them from Australia, and that is a LONG way away (and the money exchange is different)---so I decided to make my own version.
The original has stems and leaves appliqued on the top that join the "flowers" into a "garden". They are appliqued on scrappy backgrounds that are very varied, based on the pictures I see on the web. I originally was going to make a JR quilt from a neutral JR I have and use that as the background, but decided that all those seams might be difficult to quilt (although there is a quilt on the web that has that type of background). I have decided to do a different one, still scrappy, but with bigger blocks. I am still undecided about whether I will put the stems and leaves on, but I am definitely going to put these "flowers" on by machine. I really have no timetable to get it finished, so I can take my time about the specifics, since I have at least one baby quilt, and a guild challenge to complete (plus the UFO I am working on). At any rate, I am enjoying making these blocks (Dresden Plates actually) and like putting unusual combinations of fabric colors together. The really large pink one was made with a different ruler. This one has about 80 "blades" and the center will be huge. Not sure I am going to make another one quite like that since it is also going to be a little more difficult to get a nice smooth edge to applique, but I am going to to try to have some continuity. Even if I don't decide to make another one, I am going to use the one I made, since that one circle took two whole FQ's to complete. The others use a different wedge ruler and so although the resulting "dish" is almost as large, it takes less fabric. I decided to peak my edges since doing so results in a finished edge, which will be much easier to applique down.
Anyway, this is what I have going! Hope your Sunday is a wonderful one. "See" you around the web!