Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Coleo" is Sick!

As you might have read from my profile---we have a miniature poodle named "Coal". Coal is a shy, sweet and very smart little dog! He also is very finicky--especially when it comes to eating. We have been having some real "issues" of late. He wouldn't eat his usual food. Following the vets advice, I gave him rice and chicken, but he would only eat the chicken. Anyway, a couple of days ago, he developed diarrhea---then vomiting---then it went away---then it came back with a real vengeance last night. My husband and I were up literally all night with him. Of course, as a nurse, I always think the worst. We had talked with the vet yesterday, but he had gotten better so we decided to wait and see how he was doing on Monday. Anyway, long-story-short, my husband and Coal are now at the Animal ER. His stools had turned very dark and although he had stopped vomiting, the last time he did, that also looked like it had blood in it.

Pets become so important to a family---I think it is amazing! I am truly worried, but I just called my husband and he said Coal (my pet name for him is "Coleo") is acting like he isn't sick! He hasn't lost any weight (that could mean we were appropriately diligent since he only weight 7.2 lbs) and he doesn't have a temperature. What in the world could it be?

Update: The Vet said it sounds like gastroenteritis---I wonder if it was from the chicken? When I was making his chicken it did smell funny, but when I tasted it, it tasted okay. I know which grocery I will NOT be getting meat from. He is dehydrated, so he is getting an IV and then they will send us home with meds for his vomiting and diarrhea and food---chicken and rice. The Vet did say we were good Pet "Parents" and had done all the right things, it just wasn't working for Coal!

Now I am going to lay down and take a nap! Whew--what a relief!!! The next posts will be about quilting, promise!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy Coal is on the mend. It's just like one of our kids being sick poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Coal. Glad he is feeling better. Lane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Please come back again!!